In the fall of 1947, our first school opened its doors to 156 students. Four Sisters of Charity served as our teachers and students gathered in the white barracks located on the top floor of our church that served as our very first classrooms.
Over the next three years, enrollment increased quickly and a new school building featuring eight classrooms was dedicated in 1950 to accommodate our growing student population. Soon, with 75 students in the first grade alone, Fr. Dauwe made more plans to enlarge the school. In 1954, the back half of the existing school building was completed, adding four more classrooms and a lower level, and, in 1956 a top floor was added.
Throughout the 1960s, our enrollment reached its peak, with an average of 50-60 students in each classroom/with almost 1500 students enrolled and 15 Sisters of Charity teachers and 15 lay teachers.
Also during this time, our Turkey Bowl tradition began with cheerleaders cheering on our Golden Bears XXX. Other annual school activities included: First Communions, May Crownings, Walk-A-Thons and 8th Grade Graduations.
Unfortunately, due to declining enrollment, our school closed in June 2002. However this gave St. Michael an opportunity to lease our space for a year while it remodeled some of its space from July 2002 – 2003